Walk on the WOW side, volcanic adventure. MORE IMPORTANT INFORMATION
Thu 4th Oct 2018
by Lazlo Woodbine
Sorry but yet more changes
Hotels information now included lower down. You may need some of this information
Have booked the Ferries and we did get some discount half of which was eaten up with taxes and booking fees grrrr. Will have enough left over to buy everyone a glass of wine in Lipari.
Of more importance is that the FERRIES OPERATE THE SAME BAGGAGE RULE AS AIRLINES. If you have larger than a small suitcase you will have to pay a surcharge.
1. Airport transfers
A shuttle bus runs from Palermo Airport to Palermo Staxione Centrale every 30 minutes from 04.00 in the morning tp 00.00 at night. The cost is 6 Euros. It takes 50 minutes.
A taxi costs £30-£40 and takes 30 minutes. You need the Hotel Columbia.
2. Train to Milazzo. We now have to catch the 10.00 train from Palermo Centrale to Milazzo on the 5th. Costs 8 Euros.
3. The Station is about 3 miles from the ferry port so we will need taxis. The cost of a Taxi is about £9 but we will be sharing.
4. I am aiming to catch the 14.00 ferry to Lipari.
5. I have arranged for a shuttle bus from the docks to the Hotel.
6. On the 6th people can choose to go to Vulcano, involves a ferry trip. Or go the Thermal springs on Lipari, or walk up the small mountain on Lipari, or whatever else they want to do such as clob out by the pool.
7. 7th Early start to Stromboli. We have to be at the start of the walk at 15.00. This means we have to catch the morning ferry at 8.10 We will have most of the day on Stromboli to look around before the walk. See my note on equipment.
8. 8th Back to Milazzo, reat day on the beach or in cafes. The hotel is near the ferry port.
9. 9th Etna trip. We will hire one car and one 9 seater minibus and go to cable car station. There is then a walk to the guides station. In order to reach the summit we must have a guide. We need to be at the guide station by 11.00 to ensure a guide. If we can't make it by then we will still be pretty close to the top and it will save 25 Euros.
10. 10th Back to Palermo. train from Milazzo at 16.30.
Night in Palermo, I will book a restaurant for the farewell dinner. Some have to leave early in the morning so I would suggest they book a taxi from the hotel.
I NEED £60 from each person to prebook the Ferries.
Please contact me at my personal e mail address and I will give you the bank details along with your accomodation information. e mail email@example.com.
I will ask for money for the hire cars closer to the date.
I have allocated rooms now and inform you of the cost by reply e mail when I receive your e mail about the bank details.
Have had to change the ferry time to Stromboli to the morning ferry unfortunately. That is because the tour up Stromboli starts at 15.00 in October. Was hoping for a relaxing day in Lipari before we went to Stromboli.
If people want to see Lipari rather than go to Vulcan please inform me before I book the ferry tickets.
You can PM me on here or on firstname.lastname@example.org
I have reserved a 2 star hotel in Palermo for 14 people on the 4th.
A 4 star hotel on Lipari for 14 people on the 5th and 6th.
The only hotel on Stromboli for 14 people on the 7th
A 4 star hotel in Milazzo for 14 people on 8th and 9th.
Same 2 star hotel in Palermo on the 10th.
Rooms are mainly twin rooms.
Guided Tours around 120 Euros.
Around 600 pounds per person.
Meals other than continental breakfasts are not included. Allow about 30 euros/day.
Insurance not included. If you intend to walk up Etna check that your insurance covers you for high altitude walks.
Also looks like we will spend the first night in Palermo. We can take a look at the city before catching the train to Milazzo and then the ferry to Lipari the following day.
I am planning to visit Scicily and the Aeolian Islands next year. I can pay a tour company over £1500 for this or I can organise it myself for a trip with like minded ODers.
There will be a walk on Etna, you can walk to the summit with a guide but it will be very pricey. The cheapest way is to hire a car and drive to the cable car base. We then take the cables car (30 euros) and walk to the base camp. To complete the walk a guide must be hired (25 Euros). We need to be at the base camp by 11.00 to get a guide. Etna usually clouds over in the afternoon so if we are too late there is nothing to see. T There are other low level tours. Etna is 11,000 ft high so not to be taken lightly. Cost will be around 70 euros per person, official tours are about 170 euros.
Extra info available for subscribers.
Hotels_10297_meet.pdf Login to Contact the Organiser 'Lazlo Woodbine'
Express your interest.
Login to Express your interest.
Interest so far
Yes - definitely
: Head for the Hills
, Rural Lass?
, Ruby Walls
, Lazlo Woodbine
, RuthieA Yes - maybe
, Manners Sorry - can't come
, Miss T
Disclaimer: Please note that the invitations to meet up and events are arranged by the site's user base, and are in no way condoned as official by this site. If you have any concerns about any items listed on this page then please contact us. Normal personal security issues apply. Please refer to our Online Safety page for tips on keeping safe.